How can you help your child with this strategy at home?
1. Read to your child and model your thinking as you read. Modeling is one of the most effective teaching strategies.
2. Have your child “read” a wordless picture book. Using the pictures to tell stories helps with the inferring process.
3. When reading with your child, ask some of the following questions:
- Can you explain why the character acted this way?
- How do you think the author might feel about (the character)?
- Think about the setting… what details can you add?
- Figure out explanations for these events.
- What clues can you find in the pictures?
Remind your child that a book detective goes slowly, looks
for clues, and uses those clues to support his/her thinking.
Thank you for your continued
support at home!